If you’re planning on visiting Mozambique on your summer holidays, be sure to include Maputo in your itinerary. With its eclectic architecture, seaside setting and wide avenues lined with jacaranda and flame trees, Maputo is easily one of Africa’s most attractive capitals. It’s the most developed place in Mozambique by far, with a wide selection of hotels and restaurants, well-stocked supermarkets, shady sidewalk cafes and a lively cultural scene.
- Explore the lively Fish Market where you can choose from an array of fresh fish on offer, then have it grilled at any of the open-air cafés.
- Buy African batik fabrics at the inspiring Casa Elefante shop situated opposite Mercado Centrale market
- Marvel at the iconic Casa de Ferro (Iron House) designed by Gustav Eiffel. Made entirely out of iron walls and a steel roof, it was intended as the Governor’s House but proved unsuitable for tropical conditions.
- Visit the incredibly beautiful Central Train Station. Go on a Friday or Saturday evening to enjoy jazz sessions in the historic railway bar.
- End the perfect day with sundowners and sushi at the Polana Serena Hotel’s Aquarius Bar, perfectly positioned to watch the sky change into a multitude of brilliant colours over the Indian Ocean.